Mission and History
Rotary is an organization of business and professional men and women; united worldwide to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, build goodwill and promote peace in the world.
The first Rotary Club was organized in Chicago in 1905 by Paul Harris. The club met in rotation at the offices of the members, thus the name. In 1987, the first women members joined the organization. The Rotary Club of New Richmond was chartered in 1987 and was the first club in Rotary District 5960 to charter with women members.
Rotary's Motto is “Service Above Self”
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service.
- High ethical standards in business and professions.
- The application of the ideal of service by every Rotarian to their occupation as an opportunity to serve.
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace.
The Four Way Test of What We Think, Say and Do
- Is it the truth?
- Is it fair to all concerned?
- Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
- Will it be beneficial to all concerned?